Code of Conduct
The Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club (“Five Winds”) supports the enjoyment of outdoor activities. We require mutual respect and trust among members and volunteers, so that all can enjoy our outings to the fullest. To enable this, we have a Code of Conduct, procedures for addressing issues, and sanctions for members who do not respect others. Concerns regarding the conduct of other members should be brought up confidentially to one of the board members.
The Code of Conduct:
1. Respect and Integrity. Club members and guests must respect the integrity and dignity of each and every club member. Members shall maintain a companionable environment that is free of profane, sexist or sexually explicit language, threats, violence, or hurtful actions. Members are committed to making this an inclusive organization. The Club does not tolerate any form of harassment or bullying. We do not accept any discrimination based on race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status or disability. As a volunteer member-driven outdoors club, we may not always be able to accommodate an individual’s disability or any capacity limitations but we will try if possible.
2. Safety. As a Club, we are committed to promoting the safety of participants. Those taking part in Club events and activities are responsible for their own safety and must be attentive to the safety of others. They should follow the directions of event organizer(s), and respect any Club practices and procedures intended to ensure the safety of the group and individual participants.
3. Stewardship of nature. All members will respect the outdoors and make allowance for others’ enjoyment of nature. ‘Leave no trace’ and environmentally sound practices should be followed during all activities.
4. Confidentiality. A member shall not share his or her login information or disclose any personal information about members to others. Maps are not to be shared with non-members unless approved by the executive.
5. Fiscal Responsibility. Members are responsible for paying their membership dues on time and any fees associated with trips or events they have committed to, regardless of whether or not they eventually attend. Each member assumes full responsibility for any damages he or she may cause while participating in a club event. Each member is responsible for the safety and security of his or her own belongings. Members are to honour personal debts to the Club.
6. Commercial activity. Members shall not promote any products or services within the Club and shall not post commercial offers or promotions in the Club or on the Club's social media sites. Members will not share or disclose personal information on club members to people or organizations with a commercial interest.
7. Sobriety. Members shall not participate in any Five Winds activity or event while impaired by alcohol, cannabis or medication. In addition, the use or sale of illegal substances is not permitted during any Club activity whatsoever.
8. Representation and Club Reputation. A member’s behaviour at club events and on club-related social media reflects upon our club. Members shall behave responsibly and conduct themselves in a manner which will not damage the reputation of the Club, its activities and its members
9. Compliance. Members are required to abide by: all local laws; the Code of Conduct, policies and the Club Constitution; and the policies of our venues, resorts, transportation providers and other partners. Members are responsible for providing accurate and honest information as required by the club for events and activities.
How to respond to a Breach of the Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club Code of Conduct: If you are participating in a Five Winds trip/event and you experience an incident in which the Club Code of Conduct is violated, report it to the trip leader immediately. The trip leader will intervene as required. The trip leader is also required to complete an incident report and send it to the President/Vice Presidents. If a violation of the Code of Conduct occurs while on a trip, a member may be asked to leave the trip/event immediately and at his/her own expense – they will not be entitled to a refund of any monies paid. When the President/Vice Presidents receive an incident report or are notified of any violation of the Code of Conduct, they will follow up and investigate. This may involve contacting and talking with other club members who were present when the incident/behaviour occurred.
Responsibility and Consequences: As an Five Winds Backcountry Ski Club member, you are ultimately responsible for observing the Club’s Code of Conduct and meeting acceptable standards of self-discipline and ethical conduct. Any breach of the Code of Conduct in your dealings with your fellow club members or members of the public may result in serious consequences, up to and including dismissal from the club.